declared righteous through faith
RSS icon Email icon Home icon
  • Belts and Motors

    Posted on August 15th, 2015 Pastor Kevin Draper No comments

    Well, I made progress. I added the belts and motors for the three axes. One problem I had was with the gears. Some of the gears worked well with the teeth on the belt, but others did not and were pulling the belt unevenly. Using my Dremel, I modified the plastic gears so that the belt will fit better. It’s not pretty, but it seems to work for now. I will probably redesign the gear and print new ones once I get the printer working.

    Next, I hooked up the motors to the electronics, and all of it was powered by an old PC power supply. I used a simple test program uploaded to the arduino (part of the electronics) and could make the parts move along all three axes. Cool!
    20150814_122819

    Then it was time for the “printhead” – the hot end of the extruder. It is a piece of metal with a hole in the center for the plastic to enter. There is a resistor to heat up the end to melt the plastic – over 200 degrees C for some plastic. There is also a thermistor to keep track of the temperature and a fan to cool down the top part of the extruder because you don’t want the plastic to melt while it is in the feed tube. The wires all get routed along the feed tube back to the electronics that control them. As you can see – zip ties are my friend!
    20150814_160054
    20150814_160105

    You can see all of the electronics and the wires – I was going for the “impressively chaotic” look.
    20150814_160119


    Be Sociable, Share!

    Leave a reply